Are you considering plastic surgery? You will find a clear explanation of the most common plastic surgeries on these pages, including the advantages, disadvantages and risks involved.
Book an appointment with our plastic surgeon to discuss your needs in greater detail. He will explain the limitations and complications of the procedures in all honesty. This will give you a very realistic view on the chosen treatment, which will in turn avoid disappointment in the future. If needed, you can always combine this with a visit to our dermatologist for additional advice.
Mediclinic prides itself on its vast experience in the treatment of esthetic skin conditions. After consultation with our dermatogist, you will be advised on the safest and most efficient treatment. All treatments are supervised by our dermatologist. Mediclinic has an arsenal of lasers, devices and technologies to ensure you get the best results.
You will find a short description of the most common esthetic skin conditions on this website, including the different treatment options available:
Whoever thinks of Mediclinic, thinks of plastic surgery, esthetic dermatology, laser treatments,...
Today we have added a new dimension. The professional medical wellness now offers very gentle, pleasant, calming or rejuvenating treatments, that provide excellent results. These treatments include facials, medical pedicures, manicures, permanent epilation, skin tightening, peelings, cryolipolysis, etc. You're most welcome to enjoy a moment of pure relaxation at our clinic.
These treatments can be booked on their own or in combination with our dermatological or surgical interventions. A relaxed body and mind will prepare you for the more stressfull treatments and will make sure you can can recover in the best possible circumstances.
Mediclinic prides itself on its extensive experience and ensures you will get the best treatments based on the most recent developments in the field.The wellness treatments are not performed by our doctors but by our paramedical staff. The treatments were developed and selected by our dermatologist.
Book your appointment at Medifocus for:
- a consultation
- a preliminary examination before surgery
- eye surgery
Visit our partner website, www.medifocus.be/en, for more information.
Laser treatment techniques
Similarities between PRK/LASEK, Femto-LASIK and ReLEx smile
All laser eye techniques use the same principle: by altering the shape of your cornea, the surgeon is able to correct errors of refraction in the eye. Permanent correction of the cornea is possible by treating the stroma, the underlying layer. We know that the stroma holds its shape after laser eye treatment. The outer layer, the epithelium, however, will return to its original shape after treatment.
- All procedures are quick. With the current equipment available, treatments usually last no longer than 5 to 10 minutes. As the procedure takes so little time, it is not considered unpleasant.
- All techniques are simple from the patient’s point of view. During laser eye treatment, you will be lying on a treatment table, and your eye will be positioned under the laser’s microscope. During treatment, you will be asked by your surgeon to look at a blinking light, which will be easy to see.
- All procedures are painless because your eyes are numbed with eye drops. This means you will feel some sensation, but it will not be painful.
- If you compare the results after the recovery period, there is certain difference between PRK/LASEK, Femto-LASIK and ReLEx smile depending on the refractive error. For myopia between -4 and -10 diopters, the visual results of ReLEx smile are better compared to other techniques. For errors between 0 and -4 diopters, ReLEx smile remains the safest option but there is no significant difference in visual results.
Differences between treatments
The table below shows the differences between the various procedures. Obviously, this is a general overview, and individual recovery terms may vary. However, this table gives a clear overview of the advantages and disadvantages of each technique. Where a technique provides a relative advantage compared to the other techniques, this is indicated with a √.
|In use for||√ 30 years||10 years||5 years|
|Recovery of eyesight||7 days||√ 24 hours||√ 24 hours|
| Full stabilization
|3 months||√ 6 weeks||√ 6 weeks|
|Side effect after traetment||Irritation, lasting3 days, occasional pain possible||√ Irritation lasting 24 hours||√ Irritation lasting 6 hours|
| Risk of dislocation, tearing
or loss of corneal flap
|√ No||Yes||√ No|
| Dryness of the eye
|Yes, temporary||Yes, permanent in rare cases||√ No|
|Re-treatment rate||4%||7%||√ 1%|